With lockdown still being the new normal I have continued to indulge in reading and have been using Reese's Book Club (Reese Witherspoon that is) on Instagram as a guideline on new books to get stuck into. So I about 2 months ago I finished reading the book Untamed by Glennon Doyle and found this quote to be so powerful. 

"If you are uncomfortable — in deep pain, angry, yearning, confused — you don't have a problem, you have a life. Being human is not hard because you're doing it wrong, it's hard because you're doing it right. You will never change the fact that being human is hard, so you must change your idea that it was ever supposed to be easy."

There is some sort of comfort in this quote especially given that everything is so uncomfortable and uncertain at this time. We are still experiencing lockdown and although the restrictions are slowly being relaxed we all know that post-Covid things won't be the same again. I chose this quote as the basis of this post because I think I always believed life would be easy for the most part. Growing up I had a normal childhood with minimal trauma and I had the stability of a close knit family with sound ethics and morals. 

Life flipped as I got older and realised that life is definitely not always easy... there are events and experiences that change how you feel about things and your outlook on life. For me the biggest lesson from this quote is knowing that, firstly, I am not alone when I feel like things are tough (and I also acknowledge that there are people who unfortunately are having worse experiences compared to mine) and secondly, that it is ok to have difficult times in your life. In the moment it doesn't feel that way but it often shapes you as an individual. I have learnt that not every day is going to be a good day and that it's ok to have bad days and that on these bad days give yourself permission to experience these bad days but with the expectation that things will and can get better. Mental health is such a big thing and as I come to terms with my mental health challenges, I am learning that it's not always easy and that I need to make sure that I take the time to do the things that will put me in a better head space to keep going.

Comments